Monday 30 July 2018

Zverev: 'I Think I'm Better Than I Was Last Year'

The Citi Open has always been a special event for Alexander Zverev. In his debut three years ago as an 18-year-old, the German reached the quarter-finals. Last season, Zverev survived a third-set tie-break in his opening-round match before eventually capturing the title.

It was part of a magical breakout campaign for Zverev, who would lift five ATP World Tour trophies in 2017, and finish the year inside the Top 5 of the ATP Rankings. But speaking ahead of his title defence in Washington, D.C., he made a statement that should scare the field.

“I think I’m a better player than I was last year,” Zverev said. “I think I’m better prepared, I think I’m better physically. Also, I think tennis-wise, there are thing that I’ve improved.”

While the Monte-Carlo-resident has lifted just two titles so far this season compared to three at this point last year, he’s still compiled an impressive 36-11 record and climbed to his career-best ranking of No. 3. Only one player, Dominic Thiem (38-12), has earned more victories this campaign.

“I think you can always improve. There are always areas where you can improve until the end of your career,” Zverev said. “But the competition doesn’t sleep, either. They’re all trying to find ways. They’re trying to improve as well. It’s been an exciting year so far, and hopefully it will be in the second half of the year as well.”

Zverev hasn’t fallen victim to any sort of ‘sophomore slump’, losing a maximum of two matches in a row this year. Why haven’t his opponents been able to adjust to what he brings to the court? That’s not something Zverev is worrying about.

“Everybody has a certain style of game. I think that has to be more stable and you have to be known for something,” Zverev said. “Everybody has their own things, everybody has their own weapons, everybody has their own weaknesses. I think it’s more about improving your weapons and improving your weaknesses as well, so people don’t have an easy route to beating you.”

The German took some time off after his third-round exit at Wimbledon before returning to practice in order to fully prepare for what is an especially important part of the schedule for him. In the three hard-court tournaments he played ahead of the 2017 US Open, Zverev earned an impressive 1,510 points, which he now must defend.

The 2017 Nitto ATP Finals qualifier, who is No. 3 in the ATP Race To London, will begin his title defence against Evgeny Donskoy or Malek Jaziri. He has never lost before the last eight in Washington, D.C., and hopes to keep that streak going.

“This tournament has a lot of history. This tournament has a lot of great champions. I won the tournament last year so for me, this is a very special place. I’ll try my best to do so this year as well,” Zverev said. “I’m very excited to start the hard-court season off here, where I’ve played well the past few years. I’m trying to defend my title and trying to play well again.”

Watch Live



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2mZ5Hjv

No comments:

Post a Comment