Monday 30 July 2018

Del Potro Chasing Mexican Double In Los Cabos

This could be Juan Martin del Potro's favourite time of the year. The Argentine is back on North American hard courts, the site of his two titles earlier this season (Indian Wells, Acapulco) and his only Grand Slam crown (2009 US Open). He's basking in warmth from the sun and from his fans this week at the Abierto de Tenis Mifel presentado por Cinemex in Los Cabos.

Del Potro, the top seed at the ATP World Tour 250-level tournament, fell short of March's Sunshine Double after beating Roger Federer in the BNP Paribas Open title match, his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown. Del Potro lost in the semi-finals of the Miami Open presented by Itau to eventual champion John Isner.

But the 6'6” right-hander can clinch the Mexican Double this week. Del Potro won the Abierto Mexicano Telcel presentado por HSBC in Acapulco (d. Anderson) on 3 March.

“I'm having fantastic days here in Los Cabos. The city is amazing. We are having fun everywhere,” Del Potro said.

Del Potro

“We decided to come play here because it's a good tournament for preparation for Toronto, Cincinnati and the US Open... I have a lot of fans here in Mexico. And I also have great moments, winning Acapulco a few months ago. That's why I like to be in Mexico again. I will try to play good tennis and then enjoy moments with my fans.”

The No. 4 player in the ATP Rankings last competed at Wimbledon, where he fell one round short of matching his best showing at The Championships (2013 SF). Del Potro lost to World No. 1 Rafael Nadal 7-5, 6-7(7), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the quarter-finals. Andy Murray remarked on BBC TV that their final set was “one of the best sets I've ever seen”.

Read More: Delpo: 'Rafa Always Has A Little More Than The Rest'

I've been training hard for these tournaments I'm about to play on hard courts... My body is OK. I'm feeling good with the tennis game also,” Del Potro said.

The 29-year-old will be a top contender at every event the remainder of the year, especially the two upcoming hard-court Masters 1000 tournaments, the Rogers Cup in Toronto and the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati. At the season's final Grand Slam tournament, Del Potro will look to improve upon his 2017 semi-final run at the US Open.

“When I feel 100 per cent, I know how dangerous my game is against the other guys. But sometimes you need more than tennis to beat the top guys on tour. I did it in the past and I'm excited to try to repeat it in the future,” Del Potro said.

[ALSO LIKE]

He is currently in fourth place in the ATP Race To London, behind Nadal, Federer and Alexander Zverev, who will try to retain his Citi Open title in Washington, D.C., this week. Del Potro has played at the Nitto ATP Finals four times, most recently in 2013 and he reached the semi-finals in 2012.

“I would like to play a great tournament in New York [US Open] then a new goal could be qualify for London, which is, it's not yet but I'm not that far [from qualifying]. It would be great for me if I could come back in London after many years,” he said.

“Rafa is playing so good, Roger has the potential to fight for the No. 1, of course, and Sascha is the future but he's the present as well. I'm trying to get close to those guys, but we will see what's happening at the end of the year.”



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2mT4iv4

No comments:

Post a Comment