Monday 4 July 2022

Kyrgios: 'I'm Just Trying To Stay In The Moment'

Nick Kyrgios refused to get carried away on Monday despite reaching the quarter-finals at a Grand Slam for the first time since 2015.

The Australian clawed past #NextGenATP American Brandon Nakashima in five sets to equal his best run at Wimbledon and set a last-eight showdown against Chilean Cristian Garin.

“I'm not thinking about lifting a trophy or making semi-finals or making the final. I'm just thinking about my habits every day, just trying to put in a good performance on the court, then put in a good practice session,” Kyrgios said in his post-match press conference.

“[I am] trying to stay positive… Once I'm off the court, enjoy time with my team, my girlfriend, and just really enjoy that. Then [I] get into game mode. I'm not thinking about anything ahead or any [title] goals. I'm just really trying to stay in the moment.”

The 27-year-old, who advanced to the quarter-finals at SW19 in 2014 and at the Australian Open in 2015, struggled with a shoulder problem throughout the match, with the physio regularly called to court.

However, Kyrgios, who is 11-2 on grass in 2022, believes it is not an issue to be worried about as he looks to manage the situation moving forward.

“I woke up after [the Stefanos] Tsitsipas [match] and had some shoulder pain,” the Australian said. “I've played so much tennis in the past month and a half, so I almost knew that it was time for my body to start feeling some niggles.

“I think that's normal. At this time in the event, I don't think anyone is feeling 100 per cent. Obviously Rafa, you see him dealing with something niggling all the time. I just don't think anyone is feeling 100 per cent. It's just something I manage. Mentally I feel I just deal with these things a lot better now.”

[ATP APP]

Kyrgios walked on Centre Court with almost a decade of Tour-level experience on the 20-year-old Nakashima. Despite starting slowly, the World No. 40 is pleased with how he handled the occasion.

“It was a really good mental performance today. I think I'm enjoying the battle a bit more,” said Kyrgios, who upset Rafael Nadal on debut at The Championships in 2014. “I'm expecting everyone to play well against me now because I was that kid once who stepped on that court, being the underdog, where today it was me walking on Centre Court being the favourite. It was completely different for me, a different feeling. But I was able to navigate that.”

Kyrgios will look to advance to his first Grand Slam semi-final when he faces Garin in London on Wednesday.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/Kzw0Fgm

No comments:

Post a Comment