Tuesday 24 May 2022

Emotional Tsonga Soaks In Retirement Ceremony

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga’s touching retirement ceremony on Tuesday at Roland Garros was one of the most emotional moments of the season so far, but it almost didn’t come to fruition.

The Frenchman revealed that he was approached about the ceremony before his first-round clash with Casper Ruud on Court Philippe Chatrier, but declined the offer. Ever the consummate professional, Tsonga was more focussed on a big run at his final event than taking a trip down memory lane.

“I knew something was going to happen. People came to me. They said, ‘Would you like to do something after the match?’ I said [to] bug off,” said Tsonga. “You don’t know if this is going to be my final match.”

Friends, family and fellow players all came to pay tribute to his storied 18-year career. His parents, Didier and Evelyne, attended the ceremony along his wife, Noura, and two sons, Shugar and Leelow.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's wife and children attended his retirement ceremony on Tuesday at Roland Garros.

”For me, it was quite moving to see my first coaches on the court,” said Tsonga. “Even my parents, they are usually quite discreet and I know they don’t really like to be seen in front of the crowd.”

Tsonga has long been one of the most popular players in the locker room and that reputation was evident by the support he received from his peers. Several close friends on Tour including Gael Monfils, Benoit Paire and Richard Gasquet joined him on court. Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer and Andy Murray all sent video messages praising him a a player and person.

Richard Gasquet attends Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's retirement ceremony on Tuesday at Roland Garros.

“I didn't know about the players coming on court. I really enjoyed it. They are all very happy because I finally managed to cry,” joked Tsonga. “It's a moment that is going to be in my memory, but it's so quick when you're in it… My eyes were all over the place. I didn't really know where to go. When I watch the images again afterwards, I will be very moved.

”I spent so many good moments. I think the most important thing for me was to live this with people around me, to be able to share the sadness sometimes [and] the happiness. What I will remember is all the relationships I had with people around me. That's what will stay.”



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/uB8ZrkM

No comments:

Post a Comment