Friday 31 December 2021

Basilashvili Excited To Lead Team Georgia At ATP Cup

After missing out on the ATP Cup last season, everyone in the Georgian camp is delighted to have made the cut for the 2022 edition of the 16-country teams event in Sydney, not least the team’s No. 1 player Nikoloz Basilashvili.

“I mean, for sure, for me it means a lot to represent Georgia in general,” World No. 22 Basilashvili said. “The ATP Cup is really successful and a big tournament for me. I'm feeling good. I arrived late. And I had very good preparation during the pre-season and am feeling very well.

"I played very good at the end of the season. So in general, I'm feeling great. Looking forward to tomorrow to play against [Diego] Schwartzman… In general, the atmosphere is really nice, so all the matches were fun [when we played in 2020] and I got this really good experience from them.”

Aleksandre Metreveli, the team’s No. 2 player who is ranked 569, is eager to grab this rare opportunity to play on a big stage. “This tournament for me and for all the team is really special. For me in my career this is the biggest tournament, and thanks to our No. 1, Nik, for this opportunity.

“Two years ago when we played, it was really unbelievable atmosphere for me, and it was really good experience. Yeah, this is a tournament that I will remember for all my life, because it's really nice. It's different. It's not individual. It's like a team. It's really nice.”

Ranked No. 850, Aleksandre Bakshi describes being part of ATP Cup as a ‘miracle’ for him and teammates Zura Tkemaladze and Saba Purtseladze. “I think for us, for No. 3, No. 4, No. 5 guys, it's just a miracle for us to be here. We are not ranked as high. For us to have this opportunity and compete against all the best players in the world, it's just great. Of course to play against them, it's an honour.”

Georgia opens the Day 1 day session Saturday against Argentina on Qudos Bank Arena.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/3EJkHHZ

No comments:

Post a Comment