Sunday 31 January 2021

Berrettini, Fognini Sparking ‘Something Special’ For Italy At ATP Cup

With eight players sitting inside the Top 100 in the FedEx ATP Rankings, Italy has no shortage of talent to choose from when putting together its ATP Cup team. Matteo Berrettini will be hoping his country’s tennis renaissance continues in Melbourne as he gears up for his tournament debut.

The 24-year-old is joined by two of Italy’s long-time standard bearers in men’s tennis, Fabio Fognini and Simone Bolelli. Fognini has won nine ATP Tour titles in singles, including the biggest of his career at the 2019 Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters. The 33-year-old also lifted the 2015 Australian Open doubles trophy with Bolelli, making them the first all-Italian men’s team to win a Grand Slam title. Doubles star Andrea Vavassori and captain Vicenzo Santopadre round out the squad.

For Berrettini, having a host of champions to look up to ahead of him – as well as #NextGenATP stars like 19-year-old Jannik Sinner rising fast – has always been a source of motivation throughout his career.

“We are always helping each other to get through our limits,” Berrettini said. “One week [Fabio] is winning a tournament, the next week I'm trying to win my tournament, at least my best result. I think it's really healthy competition.

“We were watching them and we were inspired by them. They're still doing great careers. I think it help us to figure out how to do it.”

[WATCH LIVE 1]

Berrettini burst onto the scene after a breakthrough 2019 season highlighted by a run to the US Open semi-finals. He racked up two titles en route to a career-high No. 8 FedEx ATP Ranking, but missed last year’s ATP Cup due to injury.

“I think we are all really excited to play, really excited to come back and play with crowd also, as well. It's been a long time... It's nice to play with a team. We're a strong team. We're good friends. It's going to be nice.”

That team support will be key for the Italians as they contest a heated Group C against Austria and France, anchored by Dominic Thiem and Gael Monflis. As one of four nations that boasts multiple Top 20 players, they’ll also be leaning on Fognini to do some damage in the No. 2 singles match.

A showman at heart, the 33-year-old will be channeling the energy of the Melbourne crowds more than ever at his second ATP Cup appearance.

“We are lucky that we are here and we play with a big crowd on court,” Fognini said. “My opinion, the player that I am, the person that I am, I feel I need [the crowd] because, of course, sometimes I'm a bit crazy. I do something special in every sense, but I really enjoy.”



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2MKf5Yp

No comments:

Post a Comment