Wednesday 7 October 2020

Rublev Eyes Finals Berth, But 'Needs To Improve' After Paris Exit

Andrey Rublev is hoping to continue his run of form through to the end of the 2020 season and possibly qualify for the Nitto ATP Finals, to be held at The O2 in London from 15-22 November.

Speaking after his Roland Garros quarter-final exit to Stefanos Tsitsipas, the Russian admitted, “Of course, I would like to be there. I would like to do everything, [but] in the end I cannot control this. I will do my best. I will try to fight in every tournament, then we’ll see if I deserve it or not.”

The 22-year-old has compiled a 29-7 match record on the season, including three ATP Tour titles at the Qatar ExxonMobil Open in Doha (d. Moutet), the Adelaide International (d. Harris) and the Hamburg European Open (d. Tsitsipas).

“I can be only grateful for the past couple of weeks,” admitted Rublev, who also reached the US Open quarter-finals (l. to Medvedev). “All the matches that [I have played]. I made one more quarter-final, especially after almost being out of the tournament in the first round [against Sam Querrey]."

Rublev had never won a match at Roland Garros, but battled back from two-sets-to-love down to Querrey to make his first Roland Garros quarter-final.

“There's so many things I need to work on, so many things that I need to improve," said Rublev. "Now is a good time to do it, and to be ready for the next season.”

“After all the tournaments that I’ve been playing, I can see what I'm missing, what I'm doing well, what I'm doing not well, what I'm doing wrong. It's easier now to work, than during quarantine when you don’t know how to compare what [your] level is, how [are] the other guys. Now everything is clear and it's time to work.”



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/3iCPqvi

No comments:

Post a Comment