Wednesday 7 October 2020

'Proper Adult' Tsitsipas Ready For Roland Garros Bid

Stefanos Tsitsipas says that he’s a “proper adult" now, ready to excel in his second Grand Slam championship semi-final.

The 22-year-old, who reached his first major semi-final at the 2019 Australian Open (l. to Nadal), now feels that he is better placed to make the most of the opportunity at Roland Garros, where he'll play Novak Djokovic.

“I would like to tell you that I'm not a Next Gen player any more,” said Tsitsipas, after reaching the semi-finals in Paris on Wednesday. “I'm a proper adult… The Big Three have been there for a long time. I don't feel like it's going to be the same in five, six years' time."

His Roland Garros run is all the more remarkable as he rallied from two-sets-to-love down against Jaume Munar in the first round.

“I wasn’t expecting to be playing in [the 2019] semi-finals of the Australian Open to start first," said Tsitsipas. "[So] it's a dream, of course. I was expecting [from] a young age to potentially triumph at these Grand Slams. I'm happy that I'm able to be in a position where I am today. It’s very, very satisfying. I think I can learn from the previous one. I'm chasing something spectacular.”

In spite of his success, Tsitsipas admitted his mother, Julia, occasionally provides her views on his tennis that are in conflict to those of his coach and father, Apostolos, and Patrick Mouratoglou.

“My Mum knows a lot about tennis,” said Tsitsipas. “Sometimes it can be a bit complicated when she wants to give her own opinion or advice directly to me, then [I] have my dad tell me something else.

“We've sat down and we said, ‘Guys, that's my coach. Whatever opinions or whatever thoughts you have, [it] has to be filtered through Apostolos, my father'. It can get quite hectic.

“Obviously [with] the presence of Patrick, we are a strong, united team. My Mum is also a small part of it. She brings a lot to the team, a lot of energy, a lot of good vibes. She is lovely.”



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/30KJgTw

No comments:

Post a Comment