Monday 28 September 2020

Nishioka Holds Firm To Beat Felix In Paris

Yoshihito Nishioka overcame Felix Auger-Aliassime, the No. 19 seed, for a second time in a tour-level meeting on Monday by winning 7-5, 6-3, 6-3 in two hours and 32 minutes on Court 9.

The Japanese let out a roar of delight after reaching the second round, having recovered from 1-3 down in the opener. He also saved 11 of 13 break points.

“Today was tough for me overall, what he was bringing in the match,” said Nishioka. “I knew it was going to be tough to go through him, [as he was] going to put a lot of balls back. Obviously, the conditions were not the best for me. He played well. Also, I wasn't good, and I could have been better on many of those opportunities. I give him credit and I take responsibility on that, because I just felt like there is too many times where I just didn't step up and played a decent point.”

Nishioka, the Delray Beach Open by VITACOST.com finalist (l. to Opelka) in February, will next face Hugo Gaston, who beat fellow French wild card Maxime Janvier 7-6(5), 6-4, 6-3 in two hours and 23 minutes.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/3cACa92

No comments:

Post a Comment