Sunday 29 April 2018

First-Time Winner Spotlight: Marco Cecchinato

Marco Cecchinato clinched his first ATP World Tour title on Sunday, beating fellow first-time ATP World Tour finalist John Millman 7-5, 6-4 at the Gazprom Hungarian Open. The victory sees the 25-year-old Italian rise inside the Top 60 of the ATP Rankings for the first time and he becomes the first lucky loser to win an ATP World Tour title since Leonardo Mayer in Hamburg last year.

Afterwards, Cecchinato spoke to ATPWorldTour.com:

How does it feel to be holding your first ATP World Tour trophy?
It is amazing because the first title in my career is not possible to forget in my life. I am very happy because I lost last Sunday [in qualifying] and now I won the tournament. It is incredible. It is amazing. I don't know, maybe it is a dream.

Was winning an ATP World Tour title something you always wanted to achieve when you decided to become a tennis player?
No. My dream was to be in the Top 100 of the ATP Rankings, but never [did] I think I would win an ATP World Tour title.

You beat some really tough opponents en route to the title, how do you feel?
Every match was tough. Today I was tired, because [I played] five matches in the main draw, plus two in qualifying... But the final is the final, it is one match and after [you get to] rest.

[ALSO LIKE]

Now you have won an ATP World Tour title, what other goals do you have for the 2018 season?
I want to play every match like this, with the [same] level. Now I go [to my] best ATP Ranking, so [this moment] is very important for me. I want to play every match focussed... Now I need to work more every week; this is very important for me.

You will rise into the Top 60 of the ATP Rankings on Monday, how does that feel?
It is amazing, because this is my best ranking... I want to enjoy this title tonight with my girlfriend and my manager and that is it.

Is there anybody that you would like to acknowledge or thank for getting you to this milestone in your career?
Firstly, my family. My coach, my mother, my father and all the family because for me [family] is very important. Also my coach, my fitness coach and my manager. I have just started [a relationship] with my girlfriend so I also need to thank her.

Aside from tennis what are your favourite interests and hobbies?
Football. I like football so much. I watch every league, the Italian league, the German league and the Spanish league. This is my hobby. My favourite team is AC Milan.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2vWHNNf

No comments:

Post a Comment