Tuesday 8 September 2020

Kecmanovic Stops Nishikori On Kitzbühel Return

Miomir Kecmanovic stopped Kei Nishikori’s comeback at the first hurdle on Tuesday at the Generali Open. The 21-year-old, who trains at the same Florida academy as the Kitzbühel debutant, won 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in just under two hours for a place in the second round.

Sixth seed Nishikori, competing for the first time since 30 August 2019 as a result of right elbow surgery, won the first five games of the match, but was positive despite the loss on his ATP Tour return.

“I was not 100 per cent, but I was happy with the way I played,” said Nishikori. “I was not fit enough and maybe if I finished in two sets it would have been different, as I had some chances. It’s a shame, as I could have won today, but it was a good moment and I’m positive today. I was hitting the ball better in the altitude, so it wasn’t easy, but I do like it. I’ll try to be better prepared for next week.”

Kecmanovic, who fell in the US Open second round (l. to Bautista Agut) last week, expressed his delight at beating the Japanese star, whom he first hit with in Bradenton as a teenager.

“It means a lot, we practise at the same place and I first trained with him when I was 13,” said Kecmanovic, who next plays Jordan Thompson or John Millman, in an on-court interview. “It’s really special to have beaten him.”

Earlier in the day, fifth seed Hubert Hurkacz booked his place in the second round with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Joao Sousa in 84 minutes. Hurkacz won 24 of his 26 first-service points and recovered from 2-5 down in the second set for his 10th victory of the season. In January, the Pole reached the ASB Classic semi-finals in Auckland (l. to Paire).

Local wild card Sebastian Ofner recovered from 1-4 down in the deciding set to beat Radu Albot 6-7(5), 6-4, 7-6(4) in two hours and 45 minutes. He will now prepare to face second seed Diego Schwartzman.

Pierre-Hugues Herbert, Maximilian Marterer, Federico Delbonis, Laslo Djere, Yannick Hanfmann and Marc-Andrea Huesler all won through the qualifying rounds for a place in the Kitzbühel main draw.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2ZAh71d

No comments:

Post a Comment