Thursday 7 June 2018

Cilic Sets Sights On Grass Swing, After Disappointing Exit

Marin Cilic praised Juan Martin del Potro on Thursday, but was disappointed that he couldn’t reach the Roland Garros semi-finals for the first time.

“Out of past five Grand Slams, I [have] made the quarter-finals or better in four of them, so that's quite pleasing,” said Cilic, after his four-set loss to Del Potro in Paris.

“I felt that today I could have won this match, as well. It's always very bitter at the end of the match to know you have chances and then you lose that one. I know that Juan is a great player, [a] very great quality player, but still, it's a pity to lose like this.”

[ALSO LIKE]

The Croatian, who is currently in fifth position in the ATP Race To London for a spot at the 2018 Nitto ATP Finals, to be held at The O2 in London, is next scheduled to compete at the Fever-Tree Championships.

“That's the focus for the moment, take it week-by-week, day-by-day [and] get into form,” said Cilic. "Obviously the grass-court season is short, and I want to be in good form with that.

“I'm glad that the knee injury is behind me. I'm feeling physically well. I played good tennis here and played several matches.”

The 29-year-old Cilic, who reached the Australian Open final (l. to Federer) in January, is now 22-9 on the 2018 season. He beat James Duckworth, Hubert Hurkacz, Steve Johnson and No. 18 seed Fabio Fognini en route to his second straight Roland Garros quarter-final.



from Tennis - ATP World Tour https://ift.tt/2JmcIVq

No comments:

Post a Comment